Skip to main content

Jumbo Poinsettia Card

Greetings Everybody!!!   Gosh I can't believe how long its been since I've posted anything - at all!!!

 But I am having a nice Sunday morning - sunshine is out, its bit chilly here in Toronto but no snow, so that's okay with me, he he.  Anyone with snow knows that the routine of getting out the door is tedious when its "put on coat, button/zip, wrap the scarf, throw on the hat, bend down to gather the boots on, mitts, grab your bag-pet-significant other.....its like that several times a day, SO you can imagine how we feel when there is no snow on the ground - yet!

Of course, we all want it on Dec 24 and 25th, lol. Then we want it!!!   Not sure if we will have it this year, looking a little too warm-ish. But there has been more than one year when it literally snows on Christmas eve - but you just can't tell, its one day at a time around here. OK - yap-yap-yap........let's get on with Christmas CARDS yeah!

Here is one of the earliest I had to mail - all the way to California!



To see the details of my supplies zoom down to the bottom of this post.

1. STAMP POINSETTIA
  a) I stamped the Jumbo Poinsettia with my Versamark Ink Pad onto deep red cardstock and applied COPPER Embossing Powder and heat-set.
   b)  I  cleaned my stamp, then used my Versamark Marker to zone in on just some of the petals  to act as leaves.   Therefore I chose to stamp onto green cardstock and used BLACK embossing powder to give it more 'punch'!
   c) Then I cut out all of it and set aside.

2. CARD BASE.
    The card base is navy cardstock and I attached a bright green ribbon across it near the top.
3.  BACKGROUND MAT
   a) I cut a square using Designer Paper which had a light background and a "small" red print.
   b) next, I sponged some light distressing - to get the shadow effect I used a die as a stencil - the second largest die from Spellbinder's BOOK PAGES TWO -  with mainly red and just a bit of navy ink.
     b) I pounced the Versamark Ink Pad around the edges of the paper, and liberally applied more Copper embossing powder and heat-set.
   c)  I adhered the background mat to the card base by turning the square so that it's corners pointed to the sides of the card - much like a diamond position - then bent the corners around the card's edges at the top and bottom.

4 ACCENT
    Thinking the main poinsettia looked like its center needed attention - I cut some deep gold cardstock with the second largest poinsettia die from Spellbinder's Poinsettia set.  Then I attached some deep red gems to glam it up more :)



5. FINAL ASSEMBLY

 I layered the jumbo poinsettia so that the green leaves are jutting out, and added a double-layer of sponge tape to the back to give it a 3-D effect on the card.  I placed the accent piece on center, Then attached it all to the card watching to find the most pleasing arrangement.

Now I hope Aunt Jan loves her card - she has a very traditional tone in her decor, and I thought it would suit her.

My next card is much brighter and fun in tone - talk about switching it up!  See ya soon :)

Cheers,
Taylor B

SUPPLIES
Stampendous JUMBO POINSETTIA Stamp
Spellbinders LAYERED POINSETTIA Shapeabilites Die Set
DeSerres A7 Card and Envelope Invitation Set, Navy
Cardstock plain and print - Stampin' Up!
Martha Stewart COPPER, BLACK Embossing Powder
Accents: red Stickles, red gems, green ribbon, glue.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gothic Birthday Card

 Have a friend who appreciates the gothic sensibilities? Then dig into your creative spirit and look at the norm through a wonderful, rich and dark prism!  I chose a designer paper with a fab colour set. Next why do butterflies when a moth will be better?  Here Tim Holtz’s Funky Insects die set does the trick. To make it a tad interesting I placed a pocket inside and crafted a ATC which doubled as a coffee gift card holder. A second large tag holds my message. Well crafters, explore your options and enjoy!

Easter "Scallop Circle" Chick Card

Isn't this the cutest!  The second I laid eyes on the card which inspired me - I was OMG !  So I had to do one! IT'S A  EASY - QUICK 5 MIN. PROJECT!  GREAT KIDS PROJECT!  We made ours  after having breakfast  and  in no time flat! Technique: You can see from the pictures that you must fold your cardstock at the 5-1/2 mark, and CUT the Scallop Circle LEAVING A SMALL PART OF THE FOLD OVERHANGING THE CIRCLE OUTLINE - that is how you make a card - and not 2 Scallop Circles. A small scallop punch is cut into wedges - those make up the wings. Punch your other parts, fold the square on the diagonal for its beak, then glue everything on. We highlighted the eyes and beak - voila! Basic Supplies:  CARDSTOCK: 11x8 in. yellow, 1 in square orange scrap, black scrap; BIG SHOT XL BIGZ DIE: Scallop Circle; HAND PUNCHES:  flower, scallop circle (any size), small circle punch; Other:  1" square orange cardstock, white gel pen, glue.

Funky Insects Tim Holtz - first projects

  Funky Insects Thinlits Dies (not including bee die shown upper left ) Tim Holtz's Funky Insects are a hoot to play with. I am just playing to discover the million-gazillion ways to colour each bug and not concerned with how to design projects featuring them yet. Here's a tall slimline card, an A2 card and an ATC that l've created so far. To get inspired, you only have to look at the amazing designers that contribute to Tim's Chapter releases such as this year's Chapter 2 release.  To be honest, l was not bothered cutting so many parts for the different insects as l thought l might be....time flew by as l cut batches of the body 'base' and then spent most of my time inking, embossing, painting, etc the wings and body sections. There lies the fun!