Skip to main content

Tim Horton's Coffee Cup Birthday Card


Hello Crafty mates!  
My project today is something for my ' Coffee Mates ' .
Take a look at the card below....its part of a gift package for my pal Maria who 
also happens to be a coffee mate of mine! 

You might not guess from the photo, but this card is really a
re-incarnated TIM HORTONS COFFEE CUP!

And appropriately, a stir stick is starring as the greeting!


Now I did not come up with this idea myself but saw it online when I 
googled something, and I thought "how fun!"

So naturally, I wanted to do one!  Here is how I did it.....

UPCYCLED COFFEE CUP TUTORIAL

Basically, grab a clean take-out coffee cup from your fav coffee cafe. 
 I am working with a Medium Tim Horton's cup. 
I found it had enough height to add my focal decoration. 
I have seen the cards using the ' Large ' coffee cups though - so choose one that you like.

Prepare the Coffee Cup.

a)"Open the cup" by cutting off the bottom and top rims.
b) cut  down the side seam.
c) Flatten the cup. 

USE THE CUP AS A TEMPLATE.
See my photos - here I cut Gumball Green and Starfruit cardstock for the front
and inside of the cup, using the coffee cup as my template. Not to worry 
that it's 'perfect', but that you leave a margin of approx. 1/4 inch cardstock all around the perimeter



ADD A BORDER TRIM.
Now is a good time to add some trim. 
 I added a scalloped border to the gumball green cardstock
before gluing it to the outside of the flat coffee cup.







INSIDE CUP. 
As you would expect, the coffee cup's interior has a wax coating.
Not good for gluing - so I SCORED some lines with a sharp
pointy edge criss-cross fashion. The glue will 'fall' into the grooves and bind. 


FINISHING TOUCHES

Here is my finished exterior or card 'front' covered in the Gumball Green with Scalloped Border
AND a piece of Starfruit cardstock as cup's " SLEEVE ".  I merely cut that freehand.
I've inked some distressing accents to the edges [which also hides finger smudges from touching the card] and stamped a small monochromatic image on the front to add interest.  



Once I have finished decorating the FRONT, such as adding the above decoration
of i) doily, ii) scalloped circle, iii) stamped decoration [cut out] and iv) 2 leaves ...
I added my yellow cardstock to the interior. 

TIP: when gluing the interior cardstock to the cup - close together and re-open 
the card and press down the cardstock at the fold. It may shift a bit, but just
" work " it till it accepts its position. 



DECORATIVE GREETING ' STIR STIK '

It seemed appropriate to use a real wood stir stick to flag my greeting! 

I stamped and cut a greeting - for her, its a birthday one and punched 
some hearts from co-ordinating cardstock. The pink cardstock is also 
another Stampin' Up! IN COLOR called RASPBERRY RIPPLE.

I then attached the greeting front and back to the stir stick, while adding the 
hearts to one side only which faces the front. 

GLUE THE STIR STIK DOWN INSIDE THE CARD. 


MY GIFT. 
Here it is!  My gift became 'coffee-themed' as I gave some fresh green
kitchen towels, and a pound of coffee beans. I think that is a nice 
way to start the new year off! 



I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial, and that you are encouraged
to take advantage of recycling or re-purposing, or up-cycling....whichever way 
you want to call it...a coffee cup!  Toronto does not have a 
recycling program for these cups, a fact many probably do not know. York Region
on the other hand DOES recycle the cups. It all depends on whether the recycling
process is anerobic or not {uses oxygen to break down enzymes} and 
can deal with the thin plastic/wax coating that comes on food-grade containers. 
So we can upcycle items once in awhile - its fun AND good! 

Bye y'all!

Supplies:
 Stampin' Up!
1) 2012-2014  IN COLORS cardstock, inks.
2)  DSP. for trim, leaves.
3) stamps - assorted.
4) Scallop Border punch
5) Bigz Perfect Pennants Die

Other
1) Tim Horton's Coffee Cup and Stir Stik. 
2) assorted glues. 
3) basic tools: scissors, bone folder, clear stamp block.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gothic Birthday Card

 Have a friend who appreciates the gothic sensibilities? Then dig into your creative spirit and look at the norm through a wonderful, rich and dark prism!  I chose a designer paper with a fab colour set. Next why do butterflies when a moth will be better?  Here Tim Holtz’s Funky Insects die set does the trick. To make it a tad interesting I placed a pocket inside and crafted a ATC which doubled as a coffee gift card holder. A second large tag holds my message. Well crafters, explore your options and enjoy!

Funky Insects Tim Holtz - first projects

  Funky Insects Thinlits Dies (not including bee die shown upper left ) Tim Holtz's Funky Insects are a hoot to play with. I am just playing to discover the million-gazillion ways to colour each bug and not concerned with how to design projects featuring them yet. Here's a tall slimline card, an A2 card and an ATC that l've created so far. To get inspired, you only have to look at the amazing designers that contribute to Tim's Chapter releases such as this year's Chapter 2 release.  To be honest, l was not bothered cutting so many parts for the different insects as l thought l might be....time flew by as l cut batches of the body 'base' and then spent most of my time inking, embossing, painting, etc the wings and body sections. There lies the fun!

Easter "Scallop Circle" Chick Card

Isn't this the cutest!  The second I laid eyes on the card which inspired me - I was OMG !  So I had to do one! IT'S A  EASY - QUICK 5 MIN. PROJECT!  GREAT KIDS PROJECT!  We made ours  after having breakfast  and  in no time flat! Technique: You can see from the pictures that you must fold your cardstock at the 5-1/2 mark, and CUT the Scallop Circle LEAVING A SMALL PART OF THE FOLD OVERHANGING THE CIRCLE OUTLINE - that is how you make a card - and not 2 Scallop Circles. A small scallop punch is cut into wedges - those make up the wings. Punch your other parts, fold the square on the diagonal for its beak, then glue everything on. We highlighted the eyes and beak - voila! Basic Supplies:  CARDSTOCK: 11x8 in. yellow, 1 in square orange scrap, black scrap; BIG SHOT XL BIGZ DIE: Scallop Circle; HAND PUNCHES:  flower, scallop circle (any size), small circle punch; Other:  1" square orange cardstock, white gel pen, glue.