Skip to main content

Fat Page Swap - Part 1

Good Monday Morning - hope everyone is well and ready for a new week!!!

To start my blogging off, I am showing the results of a FAT PAGE SWAP I organized with a couple of fantastic people!   Today I am showing 2 of the 4 projects involved.

If anyone is wondering what a FAT PAGE is - commonly it is a 4x4 inch page decorated by creative means with a small area to the left for punching holes to allow several Fat Pages to be turned into a Mini Album.

So here are the two pages exchanged between myself and crafter Vernette through Love is in the Details forum around Feb. although Vernette did a variation on the theme and created this wonderful squash booklet, but keeping to the 4 inch guideline....

Vernette's Fat Page 


Front - very nice!




Tied Closed - see those squash pages.....


Open....open....


Voila!  Look at all those pages!  Great Idea!

Beverly's Fat Page for Vernette


Front
                                                            
       And here is mine.......I am using several Stampin' Up! supplies including the Heart stamp from the Love You Much set, and the background stamp, Tres Chic both currently in the Idea Catalogue.


Hidden Pocket Tag


Back

Back with Tag (backside of tag)

Here is a few more pictures to show how I made my Fat Page from a plain brown lunch bag....


Choose how you wish to cut the bag - I chose to use the bottom because
I liked the little flap, which I decided would be interesting to decorate. 
You will have 2 raw edges which you can create a small pocket as the bag is 2 layers thick right?


"SEWING" PAPER TIPS
I sewed the bag with my machine, leaving gaps for a pocket, and where the flap is connected to the bag (see arrows).   When sewing paper - I use a stitch length from 1 - 2 inches, depending on the thickness and I may  adjust the tension (usually at 4-5). Try on a sample piece to make sure that your stitch is catching 
properly "underneath" - you can also use a ZIG-ZAG stitch.   
HAVE FUN -  be less concerned about the straightness of your stitching - its all part of the look!  


Anyways - on a project like this, one side of your stitching may look good on the FRONT, but you can HIDE a lot, by layering the back with cardstock.  Or, you use cardstock for your design reasons. I did both. 
BUT  add the brads, eyelets or anything where parts need to be hidden to your paper BEFORE you attach the layer.  

Hope you enjoyed this post.

Tomorrow I will add Part 2!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gothic Birthday Card

 Have a friend who appreciates the gothic sensibilities? Then dig into your creative spirit and look at the norm through a wonderful, rich and dark prism!  I chose a designer paper with a fab colour set. Next why do butterflies when a moth will be better?  Here Tim Holtz’s Funky Insects die set does the trick. To make it a tad interesting I placed a pocket inside and crafted a ATC which doubled as a coffee gift card holder. A second large tag holds my message. Well crafters, explore your options and enjoy!

Funky Insects Tim Holtz - first projects

  Funky Insects Thinlits Dies (not including bee die shown upper left ) Tim Holtz's Funky Insects are a hoot to play with. I am just playing to discover the million-gazillion ways to colour each bug and not concerned with how to design projects featuring them yet. Here's a tall slimline card, an A2 card and an ATC that l've created so far. To get inspired, you only have to look at the amazing designers that contribute to Tim's Chapter releases such as this year's Chapter 2 release.  To be honest, l was not bothered cutting so many parts for the different insects as l thought l might be....time flew by as l cut batches of the body 'base' and then spent most of my time inking, embossing, painting, etc the wings and body sections. There lies the fun!

Easter "Scallop Circle" Chick Card

Isn't this the cutest!  The second I laid eyes on the card which inspired me - I was OMG !  So I had to do one! IT'S A  EASY - QUICK 5 MIN. PROJECT!  GREAT KIDS PROJECT!  We made ours  after having breakfast  and  in no time flat! Technique: You can see from the pictures that you must fold your cardstock at the 5-1/2 mark, and CUT the Scallop Circle LEAVING A SMALL PART OF THE FOLD OVERHANGING THE CIRCLE OUTLINE - that is how you make a card - and not 2 Scallop Circles. A small scallop punch is cut into wedges - those make up the wings. Punch your other parts, fold the square on the diagonal for its beak, then glue everything on. We highlighted the eyes and beak - voila! Basic Supplies:  CARDSTOCK: 11x8 in. yellow, 1 in square orange scrap, black scrap; BIG SHOT XL BIGZ DIE: Scallop Circle; HAND PUNCHES:  flower, scallop circle (any size), small circle punch; Other:  1" square orange cardstock, white gel pen, glue.