Skip to main content

Pet Projects to Showcase on the Holidays

Alright - I just have to throw in a couple of photos of my pampered pooch - because that is what he is. And I know how I sound - just like other people I used to hear going on about their pets - but - that's ok because I am a convert, so bear with me!

However, being new pet owners - I knew we had to include Pepper in our decor, so here is what I came up with - you don't need the holiday theme like I've used for one of the projects - just adjust it to suit your own surroundings!

First - I created a feature wall - and chose the only spot left which was in plain view, a corner by our livingroom window. But I balanced the pictures so it works really well - and I am keeping it sans the one holiday photo/frame which I am sure will be replaced soon with something new.


My first project was to create a homage to our lil guy!  So I put this collage together - inside a shadowbox style frame. It's based on a scrapbook page design I saw in the archives of SU's library - but I made it my own with all the details. {Sorry - hard to take pics of something inside glass!}  It's titled "U R Priceless " and you can see the lettering on the outside of the frame and inside. The coin with the X wire over top is meant to mean 'no amount of money' could replace a pet - they're priceless. Lots of glue dots and dimensionals used here to elevate embellishments, and using the wire is an old fav technique of mine - esp. combined with beading. The chocolate frame, the green background - all work towards blending with our decor. So I love this - its a bit fussy, but it's great - here is one project you can think up lots of tiny details and it all works well!






My next project was to make a photo frame. I know we can buy them - but here's a cheaper alternative {the ones at the photo place were $5 and up - mine cost $2.00 at most. I use one of our IN COLOR cardstocks for the frame, So Suede. I wanted a 'home-grown' comfy look - so I stitched the cardstock backing (solid piece of paper) to the front frame (using a hobby knife I cut out a rectangle to frame photo) with some crochet thread in red and green. Finally - the tree! This was fun - layer 2 pieces of green cardstock and cut 2 of a loppy christmas tree outline you sketch on the back of  the cardstock.  Use 1 of the trees to cut stained-glass style into 3 parts - toss one aside. Use white craft ink, powder the trees to look like they're frosted with snow. Now using dimensional glue dots - position the two parts over the full tree frame and decorate your tree. I decided to punch out a heart which I 'tucked' behind one of the tree layers. And that is also now a fav project of mine!






Well - there is more but I must go for now - its movie day!  But not before I sneak in another pic of our cutie!







Here he is enduring our 'attention' - and then with his new christmas toy - oh, I feel a scrapbook page coming on!   HAPPY NEW YEAR !   OXOX



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gothic Birthday Card

 Have a friend who appreciates the gothic sensibilities? Then dig into your creative spirit and look at the norm through a wonderful, rich and dark prism!  I chose a designer paper with a fab colour set. Next why do butterflies when a moth will be better?  Here Tim Holtz’s Funky Insects die set does the trick. To make it a tad interesting I placed a pocket inside and crafted a ATC which doubled as a coffee gift card holder. A second large tag holds my message. Well crafters, explore your options and enjoy!

Funky Insects Tim Holtz - first projects

  Funky Insects Thinlits Dies (not including bee die shown upper left ) Tim Holtz's Funky Insects are a hoot to play with. I am just playing to discover the million-gazillion ways to colour each bug and not concerned with how to design projects featuring them yet. Here's a tall slimline card, an A2 card and an ATC that l've created so far. To get inspired, you only have to look at the amazing designers that contribute to Tim's Chapter releases such as this year's Chapter 2 release.  To be honest, l was not bothered cutting so many parts for the different insects as l thought l might be....time flew by as l cut batches of the body 'base' and then spent most of my time inking, embossing, painting, etc the wings and body sections. There lies the fun!

Easter "Scallop Circle" Chick Card

Isn't this the cutest!  The second I laid eyes on the card which inspired me - I was OMG !  So I had to do one! IT'S A  EASY - QUICK 5 MIN. PROJECT!  GREAT KIDS PROJECT!  We made ours  after having breakfast  and  in no time flat! Technique: You can see from the pictures that you must fold your cardstock at the 5-1/2 mark, and CUT the Scallop Circle LEAVING A SMALL PART OF THE FOLD OVERHANGING THE CIRCLE OUTLINE - that is how you make a card - and not 2 Scallop Circles. A small scallop punch is cut into wedges - those make up the wings. Punch your other parts, fold the square on the diagonal for its beak, then glue everything on. We highlighted the eyes and beak - voila! Basic Supplies:  CARDSTOCK: 11x8 in. yellow, 1 in square orange scrap, black scrap; BIG SHOT XL BIGZ DIE: Scallop Circle; HAND PUNCHES:  flower, scallop circle (any size), small circle punch; Other:  1" square orange cardstock, white gel pen, glue.