Skip to main content

Valentines Heart Punch Card and Busy Patterns Technique

Helloooo.....been such a long time between posts as I am in the throes of "re-organizing"!   Gosh where does all the stuff that clutters every spot come from? Anyways - I think its a good idea to use January as 'the' month to de-clutter esp. here in the wintery North.  Not much fun outside anyways, right?

But there is fun in our craft corners - and I tried a little technique with this card, so I'm here to share!

 I received a card in the summer which embodied a colourful personality - and it really made me feel great, all sun-shiny and happy!

Upon close inspection, the card involved no less than 3 patterns of cardstock. Very busy and different patterns!  Layered together as a "strip" or band against a soothing backdrop of a solid colour. The focal point - a 3D flower sat on top, slightly off-center. And all made sense together! WONDERFUL!

So: busy patterns layered together, soothing backdrop and a dimensional focal point! Voila!

Now I tried it, here it is - my Valentine's Card for a friend ( can't say who cuz they haven't received it yet!)



Colourful Patterned Band
As you can see, I made my strip from 3 patterns!  I chose the patterns from a co-ordinating collection, but as long as they share something in common in colours, you should be good!  

Combining Patterns is easy if you follow a few guidelines:
      - try 3 similar patterns - for example, all florals or all dots; 
      - or a 'combo' of one or two similar motifs (ex: flowers) with a graphic element (i.e. plaid); 
      - vary the sizes (tiny print, medium print and large print),

....I used a large plaid, with 2 floral motifs [ one a small print and the other a mostly larger print].  But they all shared  similar colours!  

Soothing Backdrop
My background is a soft pink framed with a bit of vanilla - and I have added texture {Stampin' Up's Elegant Bouquet Embossing Folder] by running the cardstock through my Big Shot - but over-all, its pretty much a large dose of a soothing backdrop to support the busier elements in front. 

Focal Point
I punched out 3 hearts in a glittered cardstock - and embellished them with buttons.  I love adding buttons - for such a small investment, they add a lot of 'punch' - lol! 


One problem emerged - my card was 'front heavy' and in danger of falling forward on its face!  To counter-balance this, I added a layer of cardstock to the back as well, and an embellishment. This weighed the problem out, as you can see here....

back of card

So there you have it - I think it turned out swell and the reaction from my daughter was great when she saw it! Unfortunately the picture doesn't do justice to the lovely colours - but I believed I achieved that zipitty-do-dah look I was after!   

TRY IT YOURSELF - its great to use up lovely bits of left-over cardstock! 

Thanks for swinging by!

STAMPIN' UP! SUPPLIES -  Heart Punch, cardstock in 'Pretty in Pink', Textured Embossing Folder 'Elegant Bouquet', 'Rose Red' Classic Ink Pad & Marker, sponge. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun with Tags!

That is exactly what I had with this tag.....amongst all the oodles of cards I am making for a craft fair coming up, I am taking breaks by making projects that use all kinds of different elements.  Sort of like a cardstock 'stew', lol.                                                          Cute  Gift Tag or Notecard TAG BASE  1. First, I started with a small piece of cardstock of 3 x 6 inches, folded to create a square 3 x 3 inch tag. 2.  I layered a BAJA BREEZE cardstock square on top of the tag - I used my SCALLOP TRIM CORNER PUNCH to create the pretty corners! 3. To rev it up a bit, I glittered the bottom of the tag with some of Dazzling Diamonds. TAG DECORATION 4. I stamped  my lil' WALRUS  on a punched out '1-3/4 in.' Circle  of Whisper White cardstock  - then while I "maske...

Beautiful Birthday Card from my Daughter

I was ' speechless ' on my birthday when my daughter presented me with her own hand-made card for me! Reason is that when we got up that morning we were in each other's company and yet somehow she managed to sneak off into my craft room and pull this together without me knowing it - - I was totally caught off guard, lol -- and loved it!!! She has always impressed me with her creativity because she doesn't do hand-craft items very often - she is more of an 'online creator' - I have her to thank for all my web banners and general blog technical help :) I was happy to see the cute butterfly resting on the branch, that is something I would not of thought of! Anyways, it was a lovely gesture and a thoughtful card. Beverly SUPPLIES LIST  Stampin' Up!   Eastern Bloom and Kindred Spirit stamp sets. Bella Rose  Designer Paper Pink Pirouette cardstock. 

PAPER GARDEN's MOTHER's DAY CARDS 2018

*click on photos for close-up views Welcome everyone to my blog!   As part of the Paper-Garden's 2018 Mother's Day Cards Challenge I have created a card using Paper-Garden's beautiful cardstock  and a few of my favourite dies and techniques.  To see how you can help determine the winners for the challenge, see below.  close-up  Choosing beautiful colours to celebrate Mother's Day was fairly  easy as I always love the combo of pink, green and white!   To make it more fabulous, Paper-Garden's soft shimmering cardstock  really adds that lovely quality you'd want in a card for your Mom!  Look for their Curious Metallics cardstock. The white base of  my card is their sturdy cover weight in Ice Silver. I am a real fan now! I chose to use my Fantasy Floral 3D Die Set from Altenew , and my  Large Lace Faerie Queen (butterfly) die.  I wanted the title MOM to be simple and in s...